quinta-feira, 1 de novembro de 2007

Salvia divinorum: the new weed?

Today while reading the news this caught my eye and....



The reason I post this video here is because (and I am writing in English so that everybody can understand) I didn´t know about this psychoactive drug. When I read the article on BBC news I was intrigued "humm...I have sage in my backyard and usually put it on my pastas together with ricotta!!". Of course the article wasn´t talking about the common sage (for you to have an idea it exists 1832 species of sage!!!).

The thing here is I attended a 6 year undergraduation in pharmacy and I never heard about this plant. Well I must admit I skipped some Pharmacology lessons (most of them were very early in the morning!) and definitely Pharmacognosy was not my favourite discipline but even so I don´t think we students heard much about it (correct me if I am wrong!). It´s never too late to learn anyway.

The video is interesting but it´s my role advise you NOT TO TRY IT (not even I you have a sitter like they suggest!!! a big-brother to watch you guys get stoned!! it is ridiculous!).

I decided to put it here, alongside with some links, just for the information and to call for attention that Nature has amazing plants and further investigation must be done on the active substances so that new drugs can be developed with the aim to treat (and not threat! ;) people.

For more you have Wiki and Salvia Divinorum Research and Information Center (which has a long list of scientific publications on this plant and a "user´s guide" in various languages :P DON´T!) aaaaand this very interesting article of The Scientist

I am amazed with my little discovery.
Enjoy your holiday! Go for a walk! Go to the seaside!!! Go out with friends for a drink!! Do something funny!! Just don´t smoke salvia...did you see the silliness of those guys in the video?

:P

2 comentários:

zekarlos disse...

É pá, k estupidez fumar isso!!
Mas lá k fikei tentado... ai isso fikei!!! :P

Regina disse...

Zé..olha a ética profissional... mas juro-te que não tinha ouvido falar desta planta! mas que parece que dá moca...parece!!

nah..em vez de fumar isto bora lá a Amsterdão comprar uns "muffins de chocolate" humm...tão docinhos!

eheheh